HeartWorks Augmented Reality
Augmented Reality (AR) is now an exciting part of the HeartWorks learning experience. Through tablet-based AR, students of cardiac anatomy and echo can now immerse themselves in the critically acclaimed and anatomically correct HeartWorks 3D heart.
They can hold it in their hands, turn it around and look deep inside for an unparalleled understanding of structures and ultrasound views.
HeartWorks AR is a highly portable solution with the fidelity of the HeartWorks simulator pre-loaded onto a Samsung tablet. Many of its standard features are available in the AR version, with a selection of viewing modes, including anatomical slicing, structure labelling and highlighting, and standard cardiac ultrasound planes.
Felipe Teran, MD, FACEP provides an in-depth review of the new HeartWorks AR system. Dr Teran is an Emergency Physician in the Division of Emergency Ultrasound and investigator at the Center for Resuscitation Science in the Department of Emergency Medicine at University of Pennsylvania.
Product details and specifications
With HeartWorks Augmented Reality you can now learn cardiac anatomy and ultrasound anywhere. You can hold a fully interactive and accurate 3D heart in your hands, label structures, slice in any plane and overlay TEE and TTE ultrasound views. The quality of the HeartWorks simulator and learning preloaded onto a Samsung portable tablet.
What’s in the box
- Samsung S6 Tablet (with the HeartWorks AR program preloaded)
- Samsung S Pen
- Tablet case
- UK charger
- Multi-country charger
- Printed user guide
- Printed QR code
HeartWorks AR program specification
- Highly accurate and interactive beating 3D heart, which can be manipulated by touching the screen.
- ECG Trace, which can be paused or moved to any point in the cardiac cycle.
- Slice the 3D heart in any plane with an easy to use slider, the slice can also be fixed and inverted.
- Remove any anatomical section of the 3D heart.
- Over 135 intracardiac structures defined, which can be highlighted in the 3D heart and on the ultrasound image, each one with pre-programmed default view for optimal viewing.
- Gold-standard imaging views for the twenty-eight standard TEE imaging planes, and the twenty standard TTE imaging planes can be shown within the 3D heart.
- The transparency of the ultrasound over the 3D heart can be adjusted with a slider. A 3D representation of the TTE and TEE probes in each of the standard imaging views, which can be turned on or off.
- A transparent 3D rib cage over the 3D heart illustrates correct TTE probe placement within rib spaces.
- In-built help text for every feature of the program.
- Three modes for running the program: 3D Viewing Mode, Image Target (AR) and Ground Plane (AR).
- 3D Viewing Mode is the default mode. In this mode the 3D heart model is shown on screen, the system can therefore be used without the QR code or a suitable surface.
- Image Target Mode is one of two Augmented Reality (AR) modes. In this mode the 3D heart model is positioned within your surroundings using a printed QR code.
- Ground Plane is the other AR mode. In this mode the 3D heart model is positioned on a suitable surface within your surroundings using the camera.
- Connects easily to a projector or large screen, using a HDMI cable and HDMI to USB-C adaptor (not included). Or using the screen mirroring feature to connect to a TV.
- Standard 12 month warranty, not including damage or loss.
Tablet make and model
- Manufacturer: Samsung
- Model: Galaxy Tab S6 Wi-Fi 256GB (SM-T860)
- Dimension (HxWxD, mm) – 244.5 x 159.5 x 5.7
- Weight (g) – 420
- CPU Speed – 2.8GHz, 2.4GHz, 1.7GHz
- CPU Type – Octa-Core
- Size (Main Display) – 10.5″ (267.2mm)
- Resolution (Main Display) – 2560 x 1600 (WQXGA)
- Technology (Main Display) – Super AMOLED
- Colour Depth (Main Display) – 16M
S Pen Support
Yes (Gesture/Remote Control)
- Rear Camera – Resolution – 13.0 MP + 5.0 MP
- Rear Camera – Auto Focus – Yes
- Front Camera – Resolution – 8.0 MP
- Rear Camera – Flash – No
- Video Recording Resolution – UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) @30fps
- RAM Size (GB) – 8
- ROM Size (GB) – 256
- Available Memory (GB) – 224.5
- External Memory Support – MicroSD (Up to 1TB)
- ANT+ – Yes
- USB Version – USB 3.1 Gen 1
- Location Technology – GPS, Glonass, Beidou, Galileo
- MHL – No
- Wi-Fi – 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 2.4G+5GHz, VHT80 MU-MIMO
- Wi-Fi Direct – Yes
- Bluetooth Version – Bluetooth v5.0 (LE up to 2 Mbps)
- NFC – No
- Bluetooth Profiles – A2DP, AVRCP, DI, HID, HOGP, HSP, OPP, PAN
- PC Sync. – Smart Switch (PC version)
Accelerometer, Fingerprint Sensor, Gyro Sensor, Geomagnetic Sensor, Hall Sensor, RGB Light Sensor
- Internet Usage Time (Wi-Fi) (Hours) – Up to 9
- Video Playback Time (Hours, Wireless) – Up to 15
- Battery Capacity (mAh, Typical) – 7040
- Removable – No
- Audio Playback Time (Hours, Wireless) – Up to 105
Audio and video
- Video Playing Format – MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3G2, WMV, ASF, AVI, FLV, MKV,
- Video Playing Resolution – UHD 8K (7680 x 4320) @30fps
- Audio Playing Format – MP3, M4A, 3GA, AAC, OGG, OGA, WAV, WMA,
- AMR, AWB, FLAC, MID, MIDI, XMF, MXMF, IMY, RTTTL, RTX, OTA
Services and applications LAST
- Gear Support – Galaxy Buds, Gear IconX (2018)
- S-Voice – No
- Mobile TV – No
Terms and conditions for the online sale of HeartWorks® Augmented Reality can be read here.
Other simulation products:
BodyWorks is a hi-fidelity simulator for Point-of-Care ultrasound (PoCUS) used in critical care, intensive care and emergency medicine.
ScanTrainer offers a unique self-learning scanning experience that replicates being taught one-to-one by an expert.
HeartWorks is a highly realistic simulator with all the tools needed to learn TEE and TTE echocardiography.
Real-time AI training system for ultrasound-guided Peripheral Nerve Blocks.